'Google Search: Reunion' Ad and Jhajariya Recipe

12:58 PM

A frozen packet of sweet corn was lying in my freezer for a week now. Usually I buy it to make  Instant Sweet Corn Masala whenever I crave for some jhatpat snack. But due to some toothaches problem doing rounds in my life, it remained in the freezer untouched. When the 'Google Search: Reunion' Ad went viral, I was reminded of the sweet corn lying in the freezer and the dialogue 'roz shaam ko hamne wahan patange udani, aur uske baad jaake Yusuf ki dukan se Jhajariya chura ke khaani' and the response of his mumbai waali poti  is Jhajariya??? same like mine, I too was wondering what jhajariya was.... her google search result gave this definition Jhajariya is a delicacy of Indian origin made of corn, milk, ghee and sugar garnished with raisins and nuts. Then started my search of recipes but I was not able to find one. Lubna Karim of Yummy Food informed me that she has got this recipe on her blog. From there I got to know that it is also spelled as Jajaria and when I did google search with this spelling, I found whole lots of recipes out there. I went through many of them and finally did some mix and match and made this sweet corn halwa or Jhajariya... Its really an easy recipe and tastes great.... have a look friends and you too will be hooked... :)
Jhajariya

Ingredients:
Sweet corn - 1 and 3/4 cups, coarsely grated
Milk - 1 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cardamom - 2
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Pistachios - 3-4, slivered, for garnishing

Method:

In a non-stick kadhai heat ghee and add the grated corn

Cook over low flame for around 20 minutes while stirring continuously or till it turns light brown in colour

Add milk, water and cardamom and continue cooking on low flame till the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally in between

Add sugar, mix and cook till it is dissolved

Remove it in serving bowl and garnish with pistachios

Serve warm!!!



Here is the lyrics of the song in the ad...
bachpane ki tang gali phir se koode phaande
choti choti meethi chori gaanth leke baandhe
ik patang sa udt
a tha parindon ki tarah
parindon ki tarah, parindon ki tarah
  ek daur tha.. man man mor tha..
ek daur thaa.... man man mor thaa....

kaagazon ki kashtiyon mein dooba rehta tha
jhaankti khidkiyon mein uljha rehta tha
wo bhi kya daur tha man pe na jor tha
ek daur tha, man man mor tha..
 
ek daur thaa,,,, man man mor thaa....  

 

You Might Also Like

21