Red Velvet Cake

10:47 AM

Yaaaayyyy I'm super excited today as I have got the first guest on my blog. Welcoming Remya of Remya's Baking to my space. She is an upcoming blogger and I came to know through her page and then we got connected on facebook as well. When I scanned her blog, I was really amazed to see the wonderful recipes she has, and yes offcourse, more of cakes and bakes. When I invited guest to write posts on my page, Remya was the first person to whom I contacted, she immediately responded and sent me this beautiful post within a week, inspite of having a busy work schedule. Over to you dear..... :)

Itz so nice that many people from different parts of the world get connected to each other and become friends because of their love for food.  Razina is one among those good pals :-) When Razina invited me  to write a guest post, I got really excited to do it. So here goes the recipe of red velvet cake with Butter Cream Frosting. Cheese cream is a better alternative for butter cream frosting.

Recipe source: Joy of Baking



Ingredients:

For the cake
1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups of sifted cake flour
2 tablespoons of good quality cocoa powder
1/2 cup of unsalted butter
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of buttermilk
2 tablespoons of red food coloring
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar



Butter cream icing

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 4 cups of sifted icing sugar
1 cup of unsalted softened butter at room temperature
1- 4 tablespoons milk or light cream
Food color (as desired)


Method:


For Red Velvet Cake:
Preheat your oven to 175oC and place the rack in the center of the oven. Grease two 9" round cake tins

Sift together the dry ingredients - flour, salt and cocoa powder and set aside

Whisk the buttermilk and red food coloring and set aside

Beat the butter until soft and add sugar in a bowl. Beat until light and fluffy

Add eggs one by one at a time and beat well after each addition

Add vanilla extract and beat again. Scrape down the sides of bowl with a rubber spatula

Now with the mixer on low speed alternatively add the dry ingredients and the butter milk mixture in 3 batches starting and ending with flour

In a small cup combine vinegar and baking soda. Allow it to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter

Now divide the batter evenly between 2 prepared pans and smoothen the top with a spoon and bake for 30 minutes until done. (When a small knife inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean)

Cool the cakes completely to do the frosting



For the Frosting:

Beat the butter until smooth and beat in the vanilla extract, in a bowl
On low speed, slowly beat in the sugar scrapping down the sides of the bowl
Add 1 tablespoon of milk and beat on high speed to combine till it is light and fluffy (This may be avoided if you need thick consistency. If thin consistency is required add 1- 3 tablespoons of milk. Check the consistency after each addition)
Now add the desired food color and beat with a wooden spoon. This will avoid air holes when you pipe
Take a cake and spread the frosting (thin consistency) and place the next one above that
Pipe roses (thick consistency)with Wilton's 1M tip
For decorating the sides I used whipping cream

Isn't it so beautifully done!!! I'm sure you all will adore it, as much as I do....

Thank you so much Remya for taking out time and doing this post for me, u made my day!!!  Hope to see many more wonderful creations coming from your side.... :)

Do check out her blog Remya's Baking ... :)

You Might Also Like

16